From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] splitting one source package into many binaries
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:09:14
1 On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 13:50 -0300, Rafael Espíndola wrote:
2 > I am using Gentoo to build some small systems. While things like the
3 > minimal useflag is a joy, the monolithic nature of most gentoo
4 > packages is a headache.
5 It depends on your point of view.
6 Having to install 142 -devel packages just to be able to compile $foo is
7 quite frustrating - I prefer the Gentoo way.
8
9 > Kde has been spit and libstdc++ can be installed without gcc but there
10 > are many other packages that don't have this feature. For example,
11 > installing qt also installs qt designer.
12 I don't know if there is a demand for this, but if you really need to
13 shrink stuff, create your own ebuild overlay with "fixed" ebuilds ...
14 > Has someone worked on changing ebuild so that it could create many
15 > binary packages from one source? Something similar to debian's
16 > dpkg-buildpackage. For example, it would be wonderful to be able to do
17 >
18 > ebuild qt-something.ebuild split-package
19 I haven't heard of anyone trying this, and as far as I can remember it has usually been shot down as a bad idea.
20 > and have in /usr/portage/packages a package for qt-designer and a
21 > package for the rest of the library.
22 >
23 > Is this a bad idea or simply not the Gentoo way?
24 Well ... it gets you all kinds of problems because if you split packages
25 (e.g. X --> X + X-headers) and you want to compile something you'll pull
26 in the second package anyway. So for most packages I think it's not
27 really useful.
28
29 wkr,
30 Patrick
31 --
32 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move