From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: Fredrik Klasson <fredrik.k.klasson@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org, dev-portage@g.o, portage@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: For starters.. requirements of the portage API
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:09:42
1 On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 12:50 +0100, Fredrik Klasson wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Chris White wrote:
6 > | 2) access to an internal download library built into portage (not wget
7 > | or some such). This would not only allow us to do basic downloading,
8 > | but also address new protocols that come later on.
9 > uhm, just a radnom thought struck me, why re-invent the wheel? What I'm
10 > thinking is that, why not simply provide some Download Abstraction Layer
11 > (DAL) or something like that, ie, "downloadThisFileForMe(filename);"
12 I think that was the idea.
13 You tell portage "use that download wrapper" in a config file, then just
14 invoke "portage.fetch("URI")
15
16 > that /[cw]ould/ invoke
17 > ~ wget (why not? ;),
18 > ~ scp (maybe a bad idea),
19 > ~ or someother nifty file fecthing tool
20 For that you might want some extra information.
21 E.g. if you had a diffserver (binary diffs between versions) portage has
22 the metadata to decide if the full file or only the diff should be
23 fetched. A wrapper would have to generate that metadata.
24 Therefore a portage-internal fetch mechanism should work better.
25
26 > (maybe even some bittorent
27 > client - woulnd't it be nicer to make use of p2p to fetch files at
28 > (hopefully) full download speed while reducing the load on the mirrors?).
29 Maybe bittorrent is not optimal for many small files, but there are some
30 simple yet effective ways of "enhancing" the file fetching.
31
32 > IMO, writing a new download library seems to me like asking for one more
33 > part that can be subject to Murphys law (if it can break it will),
34 > though, one could argue that some kind of DAL would be a great place for
35 > "interface bugs" (or whatever to call bugs that reside between one pice
36 > of software communitating with another).
37 Right, but you'd get a lot of extra functionality. Right now, implementing
38 a new fetch mechanism is quite awkward. Having portage support for that
39 would seriously help all those mechanisms.
40
41 > just my 2 öre YAFYGI ;)
42 How much is that in real money? ;-)
43