From: "Piotr Jaroszyński" <peper@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] tests
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 13:14:02
1 Hello,
2
3 There was some discussion about forcing/not forcing tests in EAPI-1, but there
4 was clearly no compromise. Imho, tests are very important and thus I want to
5 discuss them a little more, but in more sensible fashion.
6
7 Firstly each test can be(not all categories are mutually exclusive):
8 - not existant
9 - non-functional
10 - not runnable from ebuild
11 - useful but unreasonable resource-wise
12 - useful and reasonable resource-wise
13 - necessary
14 - known to partially fail but with a way of skipping failing tests
15 - known to partially fail but with no easy way of skipping failing tests
16 Is that list comprehensive?
17
18 Secondly we must answer the question how precisely we want to distinguish
19 them, so users/dev can choose which categories of tests they want to run.
20 What comes to mind is:
21 - run all tests
22 - run only necessary tests
23 - run only reasonable tests
24 - don't run tests at all
25 Again, is that list comprehensive?
26
27 Please don't post solutions unless we figure out which options we really want
28 to deliver.
31 Best Regards,
32 Piotr Jaroszyński
33 --