From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Post-install instructions
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 17:56:45
1 I would like to work with you (and any other volunteers) to arrive at some post-install instructions for users to help them get a minimally usable system going. No one should need to reinvent the wheel. Something like the following:
2
3 How to setup a new user (boring for most, but most of
4 the distros do this automagically)
5 How to set make and use variables (and what their
6 significance is)
7 Very brief instructions for portage
8 Maybe something about the init structure and other topics
9 (the Gentoo way of doing things)
10 XFree
11 XFCE (or another simple window manager)
12 sylpheed (the best choice for mail, since it's so simple)
13 Netscape (a browser would be nice)
14 Sound card (at least a few common types)
15 Printer support (cups and related items probably)
16 For many users, dialup support (I use cable, so I will be of
17 limited help here).
18 Perhaps some suggestions for upgrading to keep current
19
20 As soon as I get up to speed with _rc5, I could prepare the XML documents, or I could drop back to _rc4 where I have that merged).
21
22 Your comments, please.
26 Collins Richey
27 Denver Area