From: Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Require full $P not just $PN on stable/keyword commit messages
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 20:01:25
1 On 01/11/19 19:59, Michael 'veremitz' Everitt wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've noticed a lot of stabilisation commit messages (and a few keywording
5 > ones too) simply state the package atom and not the relevant
6 > release/version. I find this a little meaningless, as unless this is the
7 > first time the package has ever been either stabilised or keyworded, it is
8 > reasonable to expect that there is/was some transition point for a package
9 > from when it first entered the Gentoo Repository.
10 >
11 > Therefore, it would be much /more/ useful to have the package-version
12 > tagged in the commit message, so that you could easily grep logs for when a
13 > given version of a package was stabilised, and/or keyworded. Granted, this
14 > is more of-use in a historical context compared to a present (future?!)
15 > one, but I would argue that it conveys more meaning -with- the version than
16 > without.
17 >
18 > Thoughts from outside peanut gallery?
19 >
20 > Michael / veremitz.
21 >
22 Also, it's particularly helpful if you have an atom feed of a given
23 package, to see when versions are stabilised (present and future contexts
24 covered... ;D)