From: Thilo Bangert <thilo.bangert@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] user profiles ?
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 07:04:26
1 Hi,
2
3 i remeber something about profiles etc...
4
5 During the update process i realized how the new profile stuff could
6 work. If I understand correctly, then the world file in /var/cache/edb
7 is "just" the "world" profile, containing the whole system.
8
9 I'd be cool if one can make additional profiles, fx. the profile "X",
10 which has x11-base/xfree and kde-base
11 then you can specify
12 # emerge --update X
13
14 wait a couple hours and have the newest version of X installed without
15 having touched the rest of the system.
16
17 This is especially handy, when installing a number of systems with the
18 same packages. Create a profile, copy the new profile to /var/cache/edb
19 on the new machine and after you emerged the system do
20 #emerge <profile>
21 and ready you are...
22
23 what is the status of that?