From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: USE=libav news item
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 00:20:00
1 On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 6:18 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 12:37:09 +0100
6 > > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> > media-video/mplayer2 or media-video/mpv may be used as a more
9 > >> > modern replacement.
10 > >>
11 > >> Don't recommend mplayer2, afaik it's dead.
12 > >
13 > > Also, I'd drop "modern" from there: I don't see much more modernity in
14 > > those forks except maybe younger maintainers :)
17 > Is there an exhaustive list of packages that don't work with one or
18 > the other? I don't think I've noticed anything I couldn't install for
19 > a lack of libav.
22 Chromaprint will work /differently/ depending on which is used. I added
23 libav support to it, but the fingerprints are not the same as fingerprints
24 generated when using ffmpeg. I've not gotten around to fixing that, so if
25 such a list is being compiled it should be noted on the "don't arbitrarily
26 switch between ffmpeg and libav if this tool is important to you" list.