From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: nxserver-freenx-0.5.0 to be masked
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:13:44
1 On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 00:41 +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 > What is the reason for the mask? Modular Xorg incompatibility in nx-x11?
4
5 Because it should not have been unmasked in the first place. That was a
6 mistake on my part, to not notice that I hadn't masked it when I masked
7 everything else.
8
9 > I guess "testing" does not really count after two months in ~x86
10
11 It's an ebuild for an old snapshot of freenx. We have better ebuilds in
12 the NX overlay, thanks to Jon Scruggs and everyone who's been
13 contributing via bugzilla.
14
15 Those ebuilds will be moved into Portage asap, just as soon as I've
16 caught up on my code reviewing. The feedback from visitors to
17 #gentoo-nx has been very positive (although I believe printing remains
18 an issue atm).
19
20 > By the way masking something afterwards is bad habit because it will cause
21 > downgrades. Downgrades can be harmful because they can cause bugs to come
22 > up again that have been fixed in the latest version.
23
24 I'll time this so that the mask is added along with the latest ebuilds,
25 so that, although it will look like a downgrade, what users will get
26 will be much better.
27
28 Best regards,
29 Stu
30 --
31 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
32 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
33 http://blog.stuartherbert.com/
34
35 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
36 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C