From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] <>-DEPENDS
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 04:58:59
1 On 8 September 2015 at 03:26, Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o> wrote:
2 > And as the cherry on the cake theere could be
3 >
4 > <> ( foo/bar-1 foo/bar-5 )
7 I kinda tried suggesting a similar syntax, but then I realised it
8 couldn't work, because it implicitly says "none of these" but it
9 doesn't state any sort of "Pull something"
10
11 And then I wondered what:
12
13 <> ( foo/bar-1 foo/quux-1 )
14
15 would do and my head exploded with all the pain.
16
17 So as verbose as the current syntax may be, its very easy to design
18 something worse, so I figure it better not to do anything unless we're
19 sure we haven't made a mess of it.
20
21 =foo-bar/baz-(<4.9-r999,>5.0)
22
23 Or something, where "mixing the package atoms up is impossible", and
24 that way the planner could know that the versions applied to a single
25 requirement, instead of having to guess what it all means when it sees
26 3 specifications for the same package and going crazy with
27 backtracking.
31 Kent
32
33 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL