From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Handling compatible multi tools
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 22:36:23
1 Hi everybody,
2 Please don't start flaming me for this proposal, it's a discussion.
3
4 Now, we have in tree app-arch/bsdtar and app-arch/tar (gnu tar) that are
5 syntax compatible and can actually work fine on Gentoo/Linux or
6 Gentoo/FreeBSD or anything Gentoo/*..
7
8 Now they are probably the only two of a series of tools that might be choosen
9 from a list.
10
11 I already tried preparing a list, but right now, they are probably limited to
12 tar and mpg123/mpg321 ... sort of.
13
14 What I was thinking of is to standardize a way they can be handled. A part an
15 eselect module, what I was thinking of was a way to have (in this
16 case) /bin/tar remain what it is if it's a symlink.
17
18 Basically, I thought of this:
19
20 * don't install the symlink in src_install
21 * in pkg_postinst, look at ${ROOT}/bin/tar.. if it does exists, and it points
22 on something existing, don't touch it, otherwise, make it a link to the
23 current tar
24 * in pkg_postrm, if ${ROOT}/bin/tar points to something non existant, remove
25 it
26
27 at this point, gnu tar and bsdtar might share a virtual, and one can choose
28 the tar to use (obviously, the default remains on the os default tar, so
29 bsdtar for freebsd, and gnu tar for everything else).
30
31 It's probably incomplete, so I like proposals about this...
32 --
33 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
34 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE