From: Torsten Veller <tove@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Questions about licenses
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:26:40
1 Why do we add a license to the licenses/ dir?
2 And in addition: When should a license be added to licenses/ ?
3
4 Do we only add those licenses to define valid names for the LICENSE
5 variable?
6
7 There are over 3MB in nearly 500 files. How will those licenses be
8 classified if ACCEPT_LICENSES (GLEP 23) is implemented?
9
10 Does the language of the license matter? (selfhtml is in german)
11
12 Aren't MIT and MetaKit and ... the same license?
13 Aren't X11 and cdegood and JamesClark and ... the same license?
14 Should the licenses/ dir be cleaned?
15 (Should placeholders be used as in MIT?)
16
17 What about all these /usr/share/doc/*/COPYING* files? Are they
18 necessary if all licenses are in licenses/ ?
19
20 (Am i asking too many questions? Sorry, but i have the feeling that
21 this whole license stuff is not useful atm and i don't see how we
22 can deal with the great number of files in the future.)
23 --
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list