From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, rich0@g.o, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>, udev-bugs@g.o, systemd <systemd@g.o>, base-system <base-system@g.o>, agk@××××××.com, Federico Tomassetti <f.tomassetti@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dropping static libs support from cryptsetup and lvm2
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 17:56:51
1 On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 07:36:12PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Dnia 2013-08-01, o godz. 13:32:28
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 > > On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > Dnia 2013-08-01, o godz. 17:17:35
7 > > > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> napisał(a):
8 > > >
9 > > >> On 01/08/13 17:04, William Hubbs wrote:
10 > > >> > There is a hack in our udev and kmod ebuilds that makes it possible to
11 > > >> > build the static libraries, but I think we should remove that hack since
12 > > >> > upstream bans building them.
13 > >
14 > > Thanks for the clarification - that makes sense.
15 > >
16 > > >> Anyway I volunteered Federico to sort out this mess and he got that part
17 > > >> more or less done.
18 > > >>
19 > >
20 > > If you're willing to do the work I think the teams should be willing
21 > > to allow you to support the necessary changes. That is, assuming that
22 > > the changes aren't so intrusive that they create a real potential for
23 >
24 > If only people were that keen to fix the core issue. That is, to fix
25 > static linking on Linux and make it useful without two batches of hacks
26 > on top of it.
27
28 I wouldn't have put it this way, but yes, I have to agree with mgorny
29 here. the real fix is in binutils.
30 It needs to be fixed to support static linking and visibility
31 correctly.
32
33 William