From: John Jawed <johnjawed@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Einput eclass
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:35:24
1 Below is a link to an "enhanced input" eclass as well as a screenshot.
2 This eclass was made to simplify interacting with the user at
3 pkg_config().
4
5 http://jawed.name/dev/gentoo/einput.eclass
6 http://jawed.name/dev/gentoo/einput.png (code used to create this
7 output is below)
8
9 This eclass started off as a small set of scripts used by academia at
10 my current campus and eventually was built upon. I was the original
11 author and modified it later to be ebuild friendly. It has support for
12 serial consoles.
13
14 The main purpose of this eclass is to make life simpler for developers
15 that try to streamline --config interaction. For example, having
16 --config with net-proxy/squid may ask for where to create the swap
17 directories, sed the config and then issue a squid -z for the user.
18 Taking it further, it may ask if the user wants the --config to add
19 the runlevel init scripts. Upgrades to packages which require
20 conversion of data catalogs (such as MySQL/PostgreSQL data
21 directories) could also be streamlined with user interaction.
22
23 In general, I think having more post install configurations to
24 streamline the basics for core
25 packages will be beneficial to both Gentoo newcomers and gurus. The
26 einput.eclass should help Gentoo developers lives easier in achieving
27 in that goal.
28
29 I would like to continue to build upon this eclass.
30
31 Regards,
32 John
33 --