From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating ebuilds: Choices?
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 10:09:27
1 On Friday 01 February 2002 02:45, you wrote:
2 > I'm creating an ebuild for apache that includes Microsoft Frontpage 2002
3 > extensions. Since this is an option that most people would probably not
4 > want, but some might, what is a good way to allow a ebuild compiler to
5 > choose?
6 >
7 > Would creating an apache-frontpage-1.3.22.ebuild be appropiate?
8 >
9 > What about other extensions? I assume that the builders of
10 > apache-1.3.22-r7.ebuild assumed everyone would want mod_ssl, but how do
11 > you make such a decision? Base it on what's common? For example,
12 > redhat's apache rpms contain mod_ssl, so gentoo should also, ect?
13
14 I don't know if it's feasible for apache, but the best strategy is having one
15 ebuild install the base apache system and several others install each one
16 plugin/addon e.g. frontpage, mod_ssl that would work with the existing
17 installed base apache.
18
19 When plugins like that aren't possible, we tend to rely on USE flags whenever
20 possible (e.g. the ssl flag). For everything that can't be linked to a USE
21 flag, we add the support, unless it's something really big (e.g. the samba
22 dependency for kdebase, which is disabled). If however apache becomes not
23 just larger but slower (and perhaps has a bigger mem footprint) because of
24 added support, the decision really is a hard one. But from what I know of
25 apache, I think it's modular, either at the compiling level (i.e. compile
26 extra modules later) or at the loading level (only load the parts you need)?
30 Dan Armak
31 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team (KDE)
32 Matan, Israel