From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] git basics
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 20:32:03
1 hasufell:
2 > Ian Stakenvicius:
3 >>
4 >> Repeating my example, say i'm working on a new release of firefox, it
5 >> takes ~40 mins to compile and there's some stuff it needs to do with
6 >> files in ${FILESDIR} during src_install. So i'm 'ebuild ...
7 >> install'ing that. In the meantime, there's a high-priority fix that
8 >> came up that I have to do in say, eudev. Unless i'm doing my firefox
9 >> work in the master branch locally (and probably am running these tests
10 >> on modified-but-not-committed files), i can't just switch branches to
11 >> do/test/commit/push while ebuild does its thing in the background. Or
12 >> can I? I'd have to resort to (3), right?
15 > 1. git checkout -b eudev-tmp (create new branch which has the firefox
16 > changes you just made and switch to it)
17 > 2. git reset --mixed HEAD~1 (dump the firefox patch back to the unstaged
18 > area, the file is still the same!)
19 > 3. fiddle around with eudev, commit and push
20 > 4. git checkout -f master (switch back to the master branch and throw
21 > away the unstaged changes in eudev-tmp, however... file is still the same)
22 >
23 > Alternatives:
24 > Copy over the firefox ebuild to your local overlay before doing
25 > extensive tests and fiddling. That's what I'd do anyway instead of
26 > working directly on the tree.
29 That said... I find that workflow a bit weird. Why is the firefox ebuild
30 already committed if it hasn't even been tested?
31
32 And if it's not committed... then we don't even have a problem here,
33 because switching branches will just work.