From: Michael Boman <michael.boman@××××××××××.com>
To: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Development List <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Only offer pre-compiled packages?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 07:45:25
1 On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 03:40:02AM -0400, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 >
3 > I think the -K option for emerge does this.
4 >
5 > On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 03:36:21PM +0800, Michael Boman wrote:
6 > > Is there a way to let machines only see (updated) pre-compiled packages
7 > > when they do 'emerge -p world'? I am thinking of providing a local
8 > > repository of "authorized/tested" software over NFS and when you do
9 > > 'emerge world' it will take the latest version from the pre-compiled
10 > > pile of packages, totally ignoring what is availble as ebuild's from
11 > > rsync.gentoo.org or in the PORTAGE_OVERLAY dir..
12 > >
13 > > Doable? How?
14
15 From the emerge man-page:
16
17 --usepkg (-k)
18 Tells emerge to use binary packages (from $PKGDIR) if they are
19 available, thus possibly avoiding some time-consuming compiles.
20 This option is useful for CD installs; you can export
21 PKGDIR=/mnt/cdrom/packages and then use this option to have
22 emerge "pull" binary packages from the CD in order to satisfy
23 dependencies.
24
25 My biggest problem is the wording
26 "to use binary packages (from $PKGDIR) >>if<< they are available"
27
28 It hints that if a newer ebuild is availble it will still be compiled,
29 and not taken from the pre-compiled repository.
30
31 If I am wrong please let me know ;)
32
33 Best regards
34 Michael Boman
37 Michael Boman
38 Security Architect, SecureCiRT Pte Ltd
39 http://www.securecirt.com