From: Tim Harder <radhermit@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: sys-devel/gcc::mgorny up for testing
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 21:04:38
1 On 2014-12-07 15:02, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > >> The most important consumer is app-text/pdftk Unfortunately,
3 > >> there is still no replacement for the latter which works as
4 > >> good, especially if you have tricky pdfs to process. Loosing gcj
5 > >> would therefore be a real loss.
6 > > As long as you're fine with any command-line pdf processing tool,
7 > > you could use app-text/cpdf which I've used for a long time and
8 > > just added to the tree.
9 > > Note that it's licensed under a non-commercial type license
10 > > though.
11
12 > Why would we want to replace a working GPL-2 application for an
13 > application under a non-free license? As one of the users of
14 > app-text/pdftk I'm not a big supporter of this (although I have not
15 > looked into mcpdf as was brought up earlier in this thread, although
16 > that as well seems to be under a more restrictive AGPL-3 license).
17
18 I'm not saying it's a replacement, it's an alternative. Also, some of us
19 are less picky about licensing issues as long as the source code is
20 available and free for personal use. :)
21
22 Tim