From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 18:48:19
1 On Thursday 06 July 2006 20:29, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Incidentally, syncing CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS really isn't a good idea if
3 > you want your C compiler to work and produce vaguely sane code.
4 I never said to keep them _identical_
5 I have a set of common flags (between which I have my arch flags) and a set of
6 flags for C only and one for C++ only.
7
8 Again, it does not add more complexity than there is now to handle some
9 situations.
10
11 > Not really. The __MAGIC__ is subject to change whenever any GCC person
12 > feels like it.
13 It's not magic. But if you think that going by that trick you can magically
14 turn me in agreeing with you, good luck.
15
16 > It also doesn't work in cases where people have one of
17 > those nasty corner case CPUs (such as the 4m, which is not an m and not
18 > really a 4 either, or the USIV, or the r8k) that's best off with a weird
19 > march.
20 That's what the -m{,no-}{mmx,sse,sse2,sse3,3dnow,3dnowex} flags are for.
21
22 > Well that's kinda the point. Since ebuild developers don't have access
23 > to every kind of CPU, relying upon the ebuilds getting it right isn't a
24 > very good idea.
25 The MMX code either works or don't. Not much to think about different CPUs.
26
27 > Since when was Gentoo about covering up for idiots who can't get their
28 > ricing correct at the expense of those who know what they're doing?
29 Again, I don't see any loss for who knows what he's doing.
30
31 > Sure it's magic. The __DEFINES__ aren't reliable. The GCC people change
32 > them around now and again for compatibility with other compilers.
33 Yeah _some_ of them are unreliable. Not those tho, as they are just the same
34 on all the GCC we support. And I doubt that next week GCC 4.1.2 changes them
35 around.
36
37 > Setting CFLAGS and praying is not asking for something. Setting a
38 > MY_X86_CPU_DOES_THIS_MKAY variable is asking for something.
39 And if you know what your CPU does, is it that difficult to tell the compiler
40 to use them?
43 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
44 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE