From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-2
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 14:21:20
1 On Dienstag, 9. September 2008, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > ~ * The meaning of the !atom blocker syntax now implies that
3 > ~ temporary simultaneous installation of conflicting packages is
4 > ~ allowed [3].
5 >
6 > ~ * A new !!atom blocker syntax is now supported, for use in special
7 > ~ cases in which temporary simultaneous installation of conflicting
8 > ~ packages should not be allowed.
9
10 I didn't really look into the issues, intended to be resolved with this, but
11 I'm somewhat suspecious that this is merely a hack around inaccurate
12 dependency listing in ebuilds on the one side and Portage's dependency
13 resolver issues on the other.
14
15 What I do strongly oppose is changing the meaning of the '!' symbol, as
16 blockers, which should remain real blockers will not be adjusted by us, when
17 changing an ebuild to EAPI 2++ in every case, since we're humans after all.
18 So, if you implement this, keep '!' as is and find another symbol for
19 these "soft" blockers.
20
21 > ~ * A new src_prepare phase function is called after src_unpack.
22 >
23 > ~ * The old src_compile phase function is split into separate
24 > ~ src_configure and src_compile fuctions.
25
26 All I do see is more complexity, but no real benefit.
29 Carsten