From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automatically generate ebuilds for PEAR/PECL packages
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:24:57
1 On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 12:39:15PM +0200, Sebastian Bergmann wrote:
2 > Stuart recently tried recruiting me to become a Gentoo Developer in
3 > order to help him maintain "all things PHP". I said "maybe" and he
4 > said that in order to become a Gentoo Developer I had to submit a
5 > couple of ebuilds to demonstrate my "worthiness".
6 > How about 300+ ebuilds? ;-)
7 >
8 > I wrote a script that receives the information needed from the PEAR
9 > WebService and creates ebuilds for the current stable/unstable versions
10 > of all PEAR/PECL packages.
11 >
12 > The script can be found at
13 >
14 > http://www.sebastian-bergmann.de/stuff/pear-ebuilds.phps
15 >
16 > Currently the script is at a "proof-of-concept" level and the result of
17 > a 10 minute hack.
18 The 'template' file it needs isn't around (it doesn't seem to be in that
19 directory).
20
21 If you could roll this into something like g-cpan.pl, it would go a long
22 way. The general policy for CPAN and PEAR packages is that we don't want
23 to pollute the tree with adding them until they are needed by another
24 package. That said, I've broken that rule a few times myself when I
25 wanted a package in Gentoo so I could easily deploy some custom software
26 to many Gentoo machines (which is being donated to open-source soon ;-).
29 Robin Hugh Johnson
30 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
31 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
32 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
33 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85