From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposed change to savedconfig.eclass
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:03:33
1 Hello developers,
4 this has annoyed me for a long time.
5
6 restore_config() dies when it cannot find a saved config file, while
7 later on in any ebuild that uses savedconfig.eclass, it will save the
8 config file anyhow. That means it will not use an edited saved config
9 file during the first emerge, which is to be expected and should not be
10 fatal.
11
12 The current forces you to emerge the same ebuild twice using _different_
13 USE flags to achieve anything:
14
15 1. USE="-savedconfig" emerge cat/foo
16 2. $EDITOR /etc/portage/savedconfig/cat/foo
17 3. USE="savedconfig" emerge cat/foo
18
19 This is quite illogical.
20
21 With the patch applied it should be enough to set USE=savedconfig
22 globally, run `emerge foo', edit the saved config file(s) and run
23 `emerge foo' again, without having to change the USE flag:
24
25 0. euse -E savedconfig # Set USE=savedconfig globally
26 1. emerge cat/foo
27 2. $EDITOR /etc/portage/savedconfig/cat/foo
28 3. emerge cat/foo
29 4. Profit!
30
31 The attached patch actually accomplishes two things:
32
33 1) It removes some old code[1] in an elif that apparently never gets
34 executed (or we would have seen bash syntax bugs filed loooong ago).
35 2) It makes restore_config non-fatal on the first emerge with
36 USE=savedconfig.
37
38 If no one objects, I will look forward to committing the patch in a
39 week or two.
42 Regards,
43 jer
46 [1] Already present in the first commit.

savedconfig.eclass-donotdie.patch text/x-patch