From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Jonas Jelten <jj@××××××.net>
Cc: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Migrate to Phabricator
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 16:02:48
1 On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 13:44:00 +0200
2 Jonas Jelten <jj@××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Phabricator is a fun adventure game: http://phabricator.org/
5 >
6 > It provides a tightly coupled set of project management tools.
7 > https://phacility.com/phabricator/
8 >
9 > Many bigger projects (e.g. blender, mediawiki, ...) started using
10 > phabricator, it could also be very beneficial for gentoo.
11 >
12 > https://secure.phabricator.com/w/usage/companies/
13 > https://secure.phabricator.com/w/usage/not/
14 >
15 > Wikimedia elaborates about the migration:
16 >
17 > https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/2014/12/17/welcome-phabricator/
18 > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/versus_Bugzilla
19 >
20 > https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Tools/Phabricator/Migration
21 >
22 > Migrating would contradict the apparent goal of integrating github more
23 > tightly, but still we could consider to use Phabricator instead,
24 > especially to dump bugzilla.
25 >
26 > If we come to the conclusion we are a really serious business, we must
27 > set up the "Serious Business Edition", for the most serious businesses.
28 >
29 > Still, I hope we can go with the Awesome Edition :P
30
31 This has been suggested already, and if I recall correctly, someone
32 even set up an instance for testing. Others have already explained to
33 you most of the 'big' problems with phabricator which make it pretty
34 much a useless pseudo-enterprise toy.
35
36 And before this diverts into discussion about another toy: I'd like
37 appreciate if we really considered tools that can be better, not worse.
38 I can agree that our Bugzilla is quite slow for some reason. Still, it
39 is reasonably fast.
40
41 Most of the tools suggested so far are either terribly slow by
42 themselves (poor design), terribly buggy (error conditions don't happen
43 after all, do they?), can't handle big git repositories such as our
44 (become terribly slow) and/or are completely unmaintainable.
45
46 Now, if you can find a good tool that is feature-par with Bugzilla, is
47 fast even under load (no, PHP is not), can handle errors gracefully, is
48 accessible (like, works without JavaScript enabled), is maintainable
49 and -- after all -- has some real advantage over what we have now,
50 please speak of it.
51
52 As a side note, few things that are not advantages:
53
54 * performing magic operations based on commit messages (which make
55 commit messages reliant on software used, and likely breaking any
56 other software used in the future),
57
58 * software committing to the repository for us (security reasons,
59 commit signing etc.).
62 Best regards,
63 Michał Górny
64 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>