From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dealing with global /usr/bin/libtool use vs CC/CXX etc.
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 13:54:47
1 On 10-01-2021 14:34:13 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > The vast majority of libtool-based programs use configure script to
3 > generate libtool. However, a few non-autoconf packages also use libtool
4 > by calling system-installed /usr/bin/libtool. The problem is that this
5 > libtool hardcodes the values of CC/CXX at its' build time, so unless it
6 > is rebuilt frequently, packages end up using the stale values.
7 > The problem is known since 2005 [1] and hasn't been resolved yet.
8 >
9 > I can think of two ways of solving it:
10 >
11 > 1. We could patch system-installed libtool to respect environment
12 > variables such as CC, CXX, etc. This will probably require carrying
13 > a (possibly non-trivial) patch forever. On the bright side, libtool is
14 > not exactly a package seeing frequent releases. I mean, the current
15 > version is from 2015.
16 >
17 > 2. We could regenerate libtool and force local instance of libtool
18 > in the packages needing it. The main advantage of this is that it's
19 > a no-brainer. I could make a quick eclass that does configure a local
20 > instance and prepends it into PATH.
21 >
22 > WDYT?
23
24 I would prefer option 2, also because on some systems usr/bin/libtool is
25 some entirely different tool than GNU libtool.
26
27 I remember this being much more of a problem ~15 years ago, so I wonder
28 do we have an easy way of crafting a list of affected packages, such
29 that we can see how big the problem actually is nowadays? I'm thinking
30 perhaps tinderbox logs or something can reveal /usr/bin/libtool usage
31 somehow.
32
33 Thanks,
34 Fabian