From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] db4
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 06:43:52
1 On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 05:31:57PM -0400, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > After the 1.4 release, I think it would be a good idea to make another
3 > pass at making db4 the default in gentoo. We're starting to get
4 > packages such as the latest openldap that require db4.
5
6 Yep, we definitely need to get db4 ready. I remember that there has been
7 repeated requests to add symbol versioning to db in order to eliminate
8 problems in allowing multiple db versions to co-exist. From an 23 April
9 email from pauldv:
10
11 > One thing I noticed when making the subversion ebuild is that gentoo doesn't
12 > use symbol versioned db libs. That means that different versions cannot
13 > co-exist. Making db3 versioned is a problem though as all dependencies need
14 > to be recompiled to use the versioned symbols (the others don't exist
15 > anymore in that case)
16
17 And from pauldv's 05 May email:
18
19 > While investigating a subversion bug requesting a db4 compiled apache2 I
20 > found that the db4 ebuilds do not compile with --with-uniquename. This
21 > option will make sure that different db versions have different symbol
22 > names. As such it allows different db versions to coexist.
23
24 > But if we want to have such a db4 we need to do it fast as this option
25 > requires all packages that use db to be recompiled because of mismatching
26 > symbols. I'm though not the db maintainer so I propose here to enable this
27 > option now with all (masked) db4 ebuilds
28
29 I replied that I'd like this fixed, and Paul replied and said that he'd get
30 on it. It doesn't appear that this effort has been completed as the current
31 db in portage still uses non-versioned symbols. We should get this done
32 before the 1.4 release so that new users don't have to worry about
33 recompiling all their db-based apps.
34
35 I just talked to Seemant on irc. He's going to get the right people working
36 on this so that we get some kind of good solution in place asap. Thanks in
37 advance to anyone who helps out in this effort.
38
39 Best Regards,
42 Daniel Robbins
43 Chief Architect, Gentoo Linux