From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-devhelp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-devhelp] What's the proper way to depend on gstreamer?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 05:10:22
1 Currently, I have an ebuild for a project of mine that needs gstreamer
2 (1.x) to play videos. I have these deps:
3
4 RDEPEND="(media-libs/gst-plugins-good:1.0
5 media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav)"
6
7 DEPEND="media-libs/gst-plugins-base:1.0"
8
9 During building, some headers from plugins-base are needed and libraries
10 from that are linked directly, that's why that's in DEPEND and the
11 others in RDEPEND.
12
13 However, if the system has no gstreamer installation at all currently,
14 then this will not install stuff like media-plugins/gst-plugins-pulse,
15 which might be needed on a PulseAudio-enabled system.
16
17 Should I also depend on media-plugins/gst-plugins-meta in order to make
18 sure that this gets installed?
19
20 Note that the project in question doesn't care at all about this
21 low-level stuff. PulseAudio or ALSA for example doesn't matter. All the
22 project knows about is the gstreamer API, plugins-good and plugins-base.
23
24 Even plugins-libav is not used directly, but is a dep simply because
25 that's the only way to get gstreamer to *hopefully* play all video
26 formats correctly (assuming the user hasn't crippled libav by disabling
27 USE flags in media-video/libav.) I wouldn't know how to prevent that
28 from happening in the first place; for example, how do I make sure the
29 ebuild can request all deps in a way that makes playback of H.264 or VC8
30 or Theora video possible. Again through plugins-meta? That lacks an h264
31 USE flag though (but does have an "ffmpeg" USE flag which pulls
32 plugins-libav as a dep.)