From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-devhelp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-devhelp] Writing ebuilds that replace others but with different name
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:17:22
1 I seem to have some fundamental "flaw" in portage. It seems I am not
2 able to write an ebuild that will in effect be able to replace another
3 one but with a different name.
4
5 With RPMs, no matter how the RPM is named, it has "provides" data in it.
6 Is there some similar mechanism in portage? It seems to me that if
7 the name of an ebuild is changed, then *all* ebuilds depending on it
8 will have to change too. That looks like a PITA to me if it's true.
9
10 For example, if I have an overlay that provides alternative/altered
11 packages of already existing ones in the portage tree, they will "clash"
12 with portage. Let's assume that my overlay provides an ebuild called
13 "foo-alt" which is a variation of a package in portage called "foo", but
14 is totally compatible with it. What I'm looking for is being able to
15 emerge "foo-alt", but have the ebuild state clearly that it provides the
16 "foo" dependency, so ebuilds depending on "foo" will be satisfied if
17 "foo-alt" is installed but "foo" isn't.
18
19 Possible?