From: Justin <justin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-devhelp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devhelp] Writing ebuilds that replace others but with different name
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:38:33
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > I seem to have some fundamental "flaw" in portage. It seems I am not
3 > able to write an ebuild that will in effect be able to replace another
4 > one but with a different name.
5 >
6 > With RPMs, no matter how the RPM is named, it has "provides" data in it.
7 > Is there some similar mechanism in portage? It seems to me that if the
8 > name of an ebuild is changed, then *all* ebuilds depending on it will
9 > have to change too. That looks like a PITA to me if it's true.
10 >
11 > For example, if I have an overlay that provides alternative/altered
12 > packages of already existing ones in the portage tree, they will "clash"
13 > with portage. Let's assume that my overlay provides an ebuild called
14 > "foo-alt" which is a variation of a package in portage called "foo", but
15 > is totally compatible with it. What I'm looking for is being able to
16 > emerge "foo-alt", but have the ebuild state clearly that it provides the
17 > "foo" dependency, so ebuilds depending on "foo" will be satisfied if
18 > "foo-alt" is installed but "foo" isn't.
19 >
20 > Possible?
23 Thats's what virtuals are good for. As an example see virtual/jre.
24 But in principle you are right. renaming a package is a headache and
25 should really be avoided.