From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-devrel] Re: [gentoo-core] Suspended devs and -core
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 07:10:24
1 On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 03:27:28PM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > My understanding is that a dev who is suspended loses all access to
3 > -core. Is that right? Assuming so, it occurs to me that if we expect
4 > the dev to come back (and I assume we do, or the dev would be expelled
5 > instead of suspended), then perhaps it would make more sense to only remove
6 > write access to -core, while leaving read access? An alternative would
7 > be if we archived -core, and the newly reinstated dev could then read
8 > the archives, but read-only access seems simpler. The rationale is that
9 > in those rare cases where suspended devs return, it benefits Gentoo if
10 > the suspended dev is able to stay up to date.
11
12 I'm not sure this is wise. If a suspended/expelled developers still receives
13 the -core mails, he is more likely to, in his fury of being
14 suspended/expelled, use this privilege in a negative way.
15
16 Also, how long would this last? If a developer is suspended for 2 months but
17 he doesn't return, I assume the read-only access to -core is removed as
18 well.
19
20 Next, how many suspended developers have returned?
21
22 Wkr,
23 Sven Vermeulen
27 Documentation project leader - Gentoo Foundation Trustee
28
29 The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>