From: Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] [Fwd: Finalizing the returning Dev policy]
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 02:00:05
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Daniel Ostrow wrote:
5 > Forwarding this to the public list per Mike's request.
6 >
7 > -------- Forwarded Message --------
8 > From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
9 > Reply-To: dostrow@g.o
10 > To: devrel@g.o
11 > Subject: Finalizing the returning Dev policy
12 > Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 20:25:28 -0400
13 >
14 > All:
15 >
16 > After talking it over with a few people at LWE I'd like to make a few
17 > modifications to the returning Dev (quasi-)policy...
18 >
19 > Note: Some of this may be in direct opposition to positions I have held
20 > on previous discussions of this topic, call me a flip-flopper if you
21 > must, all of the below is targeted at returning Devs who have
22 > voluntarily retired not towards those who have been suspended of forced
23 > into retirement. This is also not due to any particular incident or any
24 > particular Dev who wishes to return, it's just something that came up in
25 > discussion when a few Dev's had some rare face time.
26 >
27 > First off the things I agree with...
28 >
29 > 1). A retiring Dev should be given a 60 day leave of absence grace
30 > period to allow them to account for possible changes of heart. From our
31 > experiences in the past Real Life(TM) sometimes gets in the way and a 60
32 > day breather can sometimes help people find new time or get themselves
33 > reorganized.
34 >
35 > 2). There is a need for Devs who wish to return to have to take the quiz
36 > again. This does well as a good faith showing as well as making sure
37 > that the developer in question is up to date with present policy.
38 >
39 > Now the things I would like to see changed...
40 >
41 > 3). Returning Devs should not have to to find a mentor, somehow needing
42 > this just feels stupid...
43 >
44 > 4). The 30 day waiting period seems VERY excessive. I understand that
45 > there is a need to discourage this behavior but to be frank there is
46 > also good reason to encourage it. I propose that instead of forcing a
47 > 30day waiting period recruiters should just put the returning Dev at the
48 > end of their queue (e.g. not fast track their return by bumping it ahead
49 > of other Devs that recruiters are working on). This both alleviates the
50 > pressure on the recruiters and encourages good developers to return if
51 > mind you s they find they still have time for Gentoo in their lives.
52 >
53 > 5). If they do ridiculously badly on the quiz from (2) they should be
54 > treated as a new Dev needing to wait the 30 day period, but I think we
55 > can all assume that they have the wherewithal to find the information
56 > needed to update their skills to pass the quiz on their own, requiring
57 > any old Dev to find a new mentor for this purpose is insulting, likewise
58 > the probationary period following devship is also insulting, we trusted
59 > them with our tree once after all.
60 >
61 > I'd like to hear constructive comments on this. Especially from those
62 > that do recruiting now to know if this is a workable and acceptable
63 > policy change. I'd like to get this into an official doc as well so we
64 > don't have to keep looking back at old e-mail threads as a policy
65 > reference.
66 >
67 > Thanks,
68 >
69 > --Dan
70
71 The entire recruitment process is going to be revamped. I'll come out
72 with a general proposal shortly after the current recruitment queue is
73 at a sane spot.
74
75 In general I agree with what's said here.
76
77 - --
79 Mike Doty kingtaco@g.o
80 Gentoo/AMD64 Strategic Lead PGP Key: 0xA797C7A7
81 Gentoo Developer Relations
82 ===GPG Fingerprint===
83 0094 7F06 913E 78D6 F1BB 06BA D0AD D125 A797 C7A7
92 --
93 gentoo-devrel@g.o mailing list