From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] devrel meeting etc
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 21:26:42
1 On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 15:40 -0500, Deedra Waters wrote:
2 > How does someone else decide the punishment ensure fair? Truely, i don't
3 > see that that does not in a situation like this, at any rate. People can
4 > still appeal the overall decision to the council, there's knowone
5 > stopping them from it reguardless of wether it's a commitee that makes
6 > the decision, or 2 seperate branches.
7
8 It doesn't ensure 100% fairness as all systems can be abused. What
9 having it separate does, is allow the people that are deciding the
10 punishment be as impartial as possible.
11
12 Putting it into context of receiving a speeding ticket. I don't want the
13 police officer who writes me a ticket for speeding to be the one to
14 determine that I'm guilty of speeding (he has already made that decision
15 based upon writing me a ticket). I want a third party who can look at
16 what I say the facts are and what the police officer says the facts are
17 to make that decision. The third party helps to ensure that my side of
18 the story is heard and weighed into consideration. That is what helps to
19 ensure the fairness.
20
21 Regards,
22 Paul