From: Thomas Cort <tcort@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] RFC: etiquette enforcment
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 19:59:44
On Thu, 18 May 2006 14:41:03 -0500
Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o> wrote:
> The flamewars on public communication channels is out of hand. it's > having an negative effect in many parts of gentoo, even those that are > not directly affected by the said war. This is something that urgently > needs to be addressed.
I agree. Your suggestion is great!
> Sometimes people need a bigger kick in the ass though, which is where a > short term ban helps. When I say a short term ban, I mean 30-90 > minutes. it allows everyone to cool off without them using bad judgment > and popping back in. I do similar enforcement in #-amd64 and it works > very well.
A short term ban is a good idea, it lets people know they did something wrong without interrupting their development work. May I suggest that it only be a ban on sending mail to the list, not recieving it. It would be a pain for someone who was banned to have to search through the archives to find all of the messages within a specific time window.
> This still doesn't address repeat offenders and people who troll for > sport. It's possible that the short term bans will work, but that is > something that we will only find out with experience.
I guess you could log every ban, then come up with a formula for finding repeat offenders (X number of bans in Y days will get devrel knocking on your door). ~tcort

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-devrel] RFC: etiquette enforcment Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>