From: Jason Huebel <jhuebel@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] [Fwd: Re: RFC: etiquette enforcment]
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 04:51:09
1 On Thursday 18 May 2006 4:05 pm, Mike Doty wrote:
2 > forwarding at Peters request...
3
4 I wanted to let this discussion run its course and ignore it, but I can't help
5 but say that I really appreciate the sentiment of Peter. It's thoughtful and
6 fair.
7
8 When it comes down to it, you can't blame any one side for an erupting
9 flamewar. There's the instigator, of course. But then there are the suckers
10 who take the bait. :-) It's a "chicken or the egg" paradox.
11
12 Previously, I would have said that creating a etiquette
13 council/moderator/group for ML's was a great idea. It's the whole
14 benevolent-dictator mentality, which works in smaller groups like an arch
15 team (and for Linus, of course). But to be quite honest, it would never work
16 in a group as large and diverse as the Gentoo community.
17
18 So here's my proposal: mob rule. :-) If someone is truely out of line, I say
19 we let the devs take their objections to private email to let the offending
20 party know that their attitude is not acceptable. But in ML's, we remain
21 polite (maybe "civil" is a better word) and discuss the issue at hand-- even
22 if the discussion is heated. I'm sure everyone agrees that public lists are
23 not the place for personal attacks. Considering that this has always been
24 the consensus, we should all be able to excerise some restraint and take
25 personal issues to private email.
26
27 Basically, my point is that Gentoo problems belong on Gentoo ML's. But
28 personal conflicts don't. If a dev doesn't follow that common sense approach,
29 then mob rule will prevail. ;-)
32 Jason Huebel
33 Gentoo Developer
34
35 GPG Public Key:
36 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9BA9E230
37
38 "Do not weep; do not wax indignant. Understand."
39 Baruch Spinoza (1632 - 1677)