From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-devrel] Conflict resolution policy RFC
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:23:50
1 This is not a formalized policy doc but rather a proposal for such. All
2 input is welcome, please try to keep it mellow :)
3
4 (yes, I realize this doesn't specify how these folks are to be chosen;
5 the consensus in devrel at this point is a devrel vote for each person
6 & working out conflict of interest problems on a case-by-case basis but
7 this is also a matter for discussion)
10 Conflict resolution policy RFC
11 15 Apr 05 avenj@g.o
12
13 -- Introduction
14
15 The current devrel policy has many commonly accepted flaws, not the
16 least of which is the unnecessary complexity and overly long time needed
17 to resolve complaints.
18
19 Devrel's resolution policy does not need to be complex to serve our needs; it
20 needs to be transparent, flexible, and nimble. It needs to be able to quickly
21 address small problems before they become big problems. It needs to be
22 able to recognize and address poor patterns of behavior within Gentoo.
23 It needs to be able to pursue these goals while also addressing the
24 concerns of developers who believe devrel may act unfairly, thus
25 openness & options for appeal are essential. It must additionally
26 meet these goals within a reasonable timeframe, else problems escalate
27 and produce a negative effect on morale.
28
29 In short, this proposal seeks to accomplish a few specific things:
30 * separate conflict resolution into a clear subproject to help
31 refine the devrel structure & clarify devrel's structure & goals
32 * define a simple and effective conflict resolution body that can
33 address problems in a timely manner while still producing useful
34 results
35 * make sure conflict resolution is done in a distinctively above-board
36 manner
37
38 I will keep this as straightforward as possible. Note that when I say
39 'conflict resolution' I am including things that are not strictly
40 speaking "conflicts" -- constant QA violations come immediately to mind.
41
42 This is intentionally very loose. All issues are different and the
43 matter should be handled as appropriate to the particulars of the
44 situation; this proposed policy reflects that.
45
46 I also have not specified particulars as to how complaints are filed,
47 etc: I have tried to keep this down to the bare basics of resolving the
48 complaint. Particular methods may vary and can be detailed elsewhere
49 (such as a 'Filing a complaint' doc). I feel this should be strictly
50 policy-specific and expect that under this proposal the newly
51 created conflict resolution subproject should begin writing guideline
52 docs to help clarify specifics and implementation details. Additionally,
53 this team should refine this proposal into a policy document.
54
55 -----
56
57 Conflict resolution should become its own devrel subproject. The
58 subproject should include one lead. The lead should
59 primarily act in a strategic role and serve as the primary point of
60 contact between devrel leads and the conflict resolution board.
61
62 The conflict resolution lead is expected to stay involved in specific
63 incidents but to have no voting role in the outcome except as a
64 tiebreaker. They do, however, have influence over process and may put
65 forth issues & proposals to the board.
66
67 The board itself should be composed of four individuals. The board is
68 responsible for coordinating all aspects of the complaint. Dev vs. dev
69 disputes should be sent to ombudsman for mediation; overriding the
70 ombudsman step should be only by unanimous decision by the board.
71 Complaints that do not require mediation per se (such as repeat QA
72 problems) can be dealt with exclusively by the board. Problems ombudsman cannot
73 resolve will be returned to the board.
74
75 If an issue is returned to the board, it is up to the board to determine
76 a method for resolution. Meetings will be arranged at the lead's
77 discretion or by majority vote of the board.
78
79 The board should be expected to act in a timely manner; time limits are
80 impossible to define with any sort of accuracy, but unnecessary delays
81 are unacceptable. As such, if the board is unable to arrange IRC
82 meetings at a convienent time for all involved without undue delays,
83 e-mail is considered an acceptable method of working through complaints.
84 In either case any official proceeding including board meetings and
85 voting sessions must be made public. Discussions with involved parties
86 with the intent of mediation can be considered private at the request of
87 either involved parties or members meeting with said parties;
88 conflict resolution leads are expected to handle the release of logs
89 or emails to the gentoo-devrel mailing list and maintain an
90 archive of these documents. In the case of private discussions, a
91 summary of the non-sensitive aspects of the discussion should be
92 provided.
93
94 Once a final determination is produced by the board, any appeal to their
95 decision may be made to devrel leads. An appeal made to devrel leads may
96 be immediately vetoed to the council or put to the devrel mailing list
97 for a vote within three days. Any appeal rejected by devrel may be made
98 to the council to be voted on by elected representatives. Only the
99 developer acted upon by devrel may appeal.
102 Jon Portnoy
103 avenj/irc.freenode.net
104 --
105 gentoo-devrel@g.o mailing list