From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] [Fwd: Re: RFC: etiquette enforcment]
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 14:53:37
On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 13:44 +0000, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> > It wouldn't do anything. We have a nice, long list of "repeat > > offenders" that no matter how many times you tell them to be civil, they > > either can not, or more likely, will not, as they are aware that there > > are no consequences to their actions. > > > > One possible consequence is that people get tired of the discussion and > quit responding. Presumably, as long as people are responding to each > other, they are interested in keeping the discussion going in the tone > they are using among themselves.
Therein lies the problem. Certain people use that to their advantage. They continue a conversation out and will use circular logic, lies, misdirection, or simply repeat what someone else said over and over again until everyone on the opposing side of the argument gives up in frustration. They "win" the discussion by simply being a bigger asshole with more tolerance for being an asshole than everyone else. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux