From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] devrel meeting etc
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:16:09
Aron Griffis wrote: [Mon Sep 12 2005, 01:37:33PM CDT]
> You make a good point concerning the checks and balances inherently > available in a voting system. Nonetheless, you'll displease a lot of > people by doing away with one of the core attributes of the proposal, > so IMHO it would help to explain how it has hindered you so far.
One thing that I've noticed about devrel in the past is that a lot of the interactions between devrel members (especially recruiters) happen on irc, not on mailing lists or bugs. The result is a situation like the current one (I suspect), where somebody in devrel proposes something big with little explanation, because many of the people involved already know what all of the issues are. The problem, of course, is that then a lot of people are both taken completely by surprise (because they aren't an integral part of that specialized community) and have no good way to find out what's been happening. If this relatively new enforcement system isn't working, then of course it should be fixed, but the non-cognoscenti are going to need much more information before any fix can appear to be a rational solution. Personally, I'm still fond of my long-ago suggestion that the judgement part of the process should be handled by a randomly-selected group of devs, but I'm perfectly willing to accept that such a proposal is unrealistic. -g2boojum- -- Grant Goodyear Gentoo Developer g2boojum@g.o GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-devrel] devrel meeting etc Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-devrel] devrel meeting etc Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>