From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] devrel meeting etc
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:16:09
1 Aron Griffis wrote: [Mon Sep 12 2005, 01:37:33PM CDT]
2 > You make a good point concerning the checks and balances inherently
3 > available in a voting system. Nonetheless, you'll displease a lot of
4 > people by doing away with one of the core attributes of the proposal,
5 > so IMHO it would help to explain how it has hindered you so far.
6
7 One thing that I've noticed about devrel in the past is that a lot of
8 the interactions between devrel members (especially recruiters) happen
9 on irc, not on mailing lists or bugs. The result is a situation like
10 the current one (I suspect), where somebody in devrel proposes something
11 big with little explanation, because many of the people involved already
12 know what all of the issues are. The problem, of course, is that then a
13 lot of people are both taken completely by surprise (because they aren't
14 an integral part of that specialized community) and have no good way to
15 find out what's been happening. If this relatively new enforcement
16 system isn't working, then of course it should be fixed, but the
17 non-cognoscenti are going to need much more information before any fix
18 can appear to be a rational solution.
19
20 Personally, I'm still fond of my long-ago suggestion that the judgement
21 part of the process should be handled by a randomly-selected group of
22 devs, but I'm perfectly willing to accept that such a proposal is
23 unrealistic.
24
25 -g2boojum-
26 --
27 Grant Goodyear
28 Gentoo Developer
29 g2boojum@g.o
30 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
31 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76