From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] RFC: etiquette enforcment
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:45:46
Mike Doty wrote: [Thu May 18 2006, 02:41:03PM CDT]
> The flamewars on public communication channels is out of hand. it's > having an negative effect in many parts of gentoo, even those that are > not directly affected by the said war. This is something that urgently > needs to be addressed.
I disagree. I don't see a flamewar, but a spirited discussion. As for it having a negative effect "in many parts of gentoo", perhaps such a blanket statement deserves some evidence? Which areas? How many is many?
> So, here is my proposal. I hope it's not the only one.
Fair enough, I'll add mine: do nothing other than urge politeness and do one's utmost to separate vitriol and opinion from fact.
> creation of a etiquette enforcement group. This group should be a > subproject of devrel, but should not be made up of devrel members. I > say this because the actions and powers of this group need to be > separated from devrel.
Just as a logical point, exactly what authority does devrel have over non-devs? Seems like the wrong project to me. Perhaps userrel? That aside, I think censoring is unwise, and I certainly won't support it. Of course, I have no actual power, but I'll argue vociferously against any such plan. There's a marked difference between automated spamming of a mailing list (which, of course, would result in access being suspended) and somebody being annoying. I'm not a wholly unreasonable person, I don't think, and I disagree that things are out of hand. Were your proposal in effect, we would be censoring on cases where reasonable people disagree. I think that's far too low a bar to set. Respectfully, g2boojum -- Grant Goodyear Gentoo Developer g2boojum@g.o GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76