From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-devrel] On the present subject
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:34:56
1 All:
2
3 I have intentionally stayed out of the discussion over the past
4 several days. I did this because I believed that in the state that
5 the discussions were I could not provide any valid input as things
6 were far to heated to be useful. Now however we have seen things calm
7 down and are getting to the meat of the problem. I am very happy with
8 the proposed changes that have been set forth but want to elaborate
9 on them a bit more.
10
11 #1). We seem to be concentrating entirely on dealing with problems of
12 the social nature were issues require interpretation, investigation
13 and an impartial adjudication (in this particular case buy a body
14 that will both serve as judge and jury in a form of summary
15 judgement). I can understand why this has been the case given what
16 precipitated the conversation but we have been ignoring the other
17 half "HR" responsibilities that devrel carries. While it may be
18 believed otherwise the QA group does not (nor should it) have the
19 power to deal with problems of the technical nature when it comes to
20 "punishing" developers for repeated action either due to an innocent
21 lack of knowledge or malicious intent. The QA group should come to
22 devrel when such problems occur. In general problems of this nature
23 are more clear cut and not open to interpretation, either something
24 is broken or it is not. To that end the only purpose of the
25 "investigatory body" in technical matters is to determine weather the
26 damage was malicious or not, a very hard task sometimes. While the
27 case may be made that the punishment for this kind of action (again I
28 need to stress that I am including both a totally innocent lack of
29 knowledge and malicious intent) is subject to the interpretation of
30 the judging body I feel that it must not be. Having subjective rules
31 is scary as it means that even in an act of innocence hundreds if not
32 thousands of end users can be effected without being forced to take
33 steps to ensure that such a thing will not happen again. I agree that
34 the "punishment" for a malicious action and the "punishment" for an
35 innocent one should not be the same but it has to be understood that
36 the end result of either action is indeed the same. I feel that this
37 needs to be discussed...I have some ways I'd like to handle it but
38 all of them require not only the intervention of devrel to decide
39 what "punishments" fit such actions but infra as well; namely the
40 inclusion of a branch tree for "approved" operations by repeat
41 offenders) to prevent damage to the main tree (which would require
42 the use of svn for our main tree btw :-/). I just feel that this
43 responsibility of devrel is often overlooked.
44
45 Well that was the long one....
46
47 #2). I feel the need to state that under no circumstances can devrel
48 make up an investigatory body, and a judiciary of any valid size with
49 it's present makeup. I think this needs to be addressed in addition
50 to just formalizing the layout. We need more help from good
51 developers willing to throw their weight behind the process. Not just
52 for the purpose of these two bodies but also to make the "Developer
53 Handbook" a more open project for developers to submit to, for the
54 recruitment quiz to move with the times at an appropriate clip and
55 for everything else devrel does. We have to be at the forefront of
56 the development effort, anticipating development needs with
57 recruiting and documentation and standing as a transparent body for
58 all developers to see.
59
60 Well that's my 2 cents. I also want to thank all those who have been
61 vocal over the past week, on both sides of the aisle, as I feel that
62 without this kind of passion we wouldn't be at the point we are
63 today. It's no fun getting here but these are very necessary growing
64 pains as our beloved distro grows beyond it's original bounds.....
65
66 Thanks for listening,
67
68 Daniel Ostrow