From: Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] RFC: etiquette enforcment
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:45:37

Tim Yamin wrote:
>> So, here is my proposal. I hope it's not the only one. >> >> creation of a etiquette enforcement group. This group should be a >> subproject of devrel, but should not be made up of devrel members. I >> say this because the actions and powers of this group need to be >> separated from devrel. > > Who will lead the group? Also is the enforcer's powers limited purely to > spurs on IRC and mailing lists; i.e. behaviour issues and/or repetitive > patterns still go to devrel for discussion; complaints to Bugzilla, etc?
Not me, I feel I can't do it while still belonging to the groups that I'm currently in unless there in a public vote and I'm voted in.
>> - - enforcer sets modes +q troll for #foobar > > Devs (well, ops in the channel) have always had this capability; nothing > new. Also address problem of enforcer himself being an ass on IRC/MLs, > what happens then; we don't want a "that guy did it and he's reponsible > for good behaviour so I can do it too" happening...
Yes, and what happens? someone else kicks the kicker. Addressing a enforcer who acts out is no different than addressing a devrel member who does the same. we try to select people that won't do that, but when it happens we deal with it in the best possible way.
>> Sometimes people need a bigger kick in the ass though, which is where a >> short term ban helps. When I say a short term ban, I mean 30-90 >> minutes. it allows everyone to cool off without them using bad judgment >> and popping back in. I do similar enforcement in #-amd64 and it works >> very well. > > ... making sure that said person is informed of the ban, otherwise it > might be useless and have no effect.
>> 1. any and every action that the enforcer uses to enforce etiquette >> needs to be immediately and publicly documented. as a start I recommend >> sending a email to gentoo-devrel ML. This includes full logs/archive >> pointers. > > gentoo-devrel isn't a database for etiquette violations given that it's > archived all over the place. You need a more appropriate place.
make it bugs or a webpage or whatever. I don't care so long as it's public.