From: amne@g.o
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] Proposal of Change to the Gentoo User Relations Project
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:28:52
On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 04:21:25PM +0000, Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
> 1. Bugzilla - Create a Bug Writing How-to to provide users with a > guideline for how to write bug reports, to ease the workload > for the developers and also to ensure that the users include > sufficient information with their bug report. > 2. Bugzilla - Write and make available guidelines for how > to respond to a bug report in a useful manner. Ensure that > developers have the opportunity to look up how "it should be > done" should they feel unsure.
I like those two ideas, especially #1. This should also be something that doesn't become too big of an effort (depending how much you intend to write of course).
> * Complaints - Review and rewrite the current complaints > procedure to ensure that users will find User Relations > approachable and thus will feel able to file > complaints if necessary. Ensure that a problem is always > looked at from both sides, and if the problem cannot be solved > by User Relations have a procedure in place for escalating to > an ombudsman.
We've had complaints from users that were banned from some #gentoo* channel on the forums every now and then. They were usually handled by the developers involved and/or devrel members. Having someone to redirect them to (the forum isn't exactly the right place for this) would be good, especially if the ban was not legit (which never was the case, they usually had simply disregarded the guidelines of the channels they were banned from). Same thing also goes for forum bans, some banned users were quite disagreeing about being banned, a second independent instance to turn the user to for further evalution may be useful and help cutting down conspiracy theories.
> * Stress - Ensure that there is an understanding of how > overwork/stress can affect the way we communicate with others. > Ensure there is a procedure in place for backup should the > need arise for a developer to not deal with users directly for > one reason or another. Ensure developers have the option to > "take time out" when needed. Ensure that users are dealt with > in an effective and friendly manner so not to cause any > unnecessary trauma for users.
Basically, if some developer is overworked, this is a problem that should be sorted out in the first place. Apart from that, there may be situations where this may could be useful.
> * Recruitment - Work alongside Developer Relations to improve > the recruitment process, focusing on the process for reinstating > a returning developer to start with.
To be honest, i don't exactly understand how returning devs fall into user relations (because they are currently users?), but i guess helping out is always a good thing. Personally i probably wouldn't put that under user-rel.
> * User Relations - Review User Relations' role and find > other ways of improving Gentoo User Relations. Ensure that > User Relations are proactive rather than reactive and have a > good strong presence within the user community. Continously > encourage and listen to feedback from users and developers in > order to better understand the needs of users and developers, > and effectively cater to them.
If you have no one to talk to, talk to Christel. :-) I guess this could become a full time job for more than one person as there are lots of users voicing ideas, criticism etc everywhere on irc, forums and mailing lists. Maybe a feedback guide telling them how to bring their feedback into a form that actually gets read by devs would be a good idea (e.g.: "Devs don't read much on the forums, write a nice summary and send it to some mailing list.", "This is a clear bug, please file a bug report"). cheers, Wernfried -- Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org Gentoo Forums: IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org