From: Tobias Heinlein <keytoaster@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] GDP policy updates
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 18:18:04
1 Looks great!
2
3 +1
4
5 Regards,
6 Tobias
7
8 On 20.03.2013 18:13, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
9 > Hi guys,
10 >
11 > I'd like to suggest a few changes on our GDP policy, namely:
12 >
13 > - updating the license comment if you use a different license should be
14 > mandatory (hence switch from "should" to "must")
15 >
16 > Reason: I think this is a "typo" as "must" fits more in the idea of that
17 > paragraph.
18 >
19 > - drop using metadoc.xml for registering long outstanding bugs
20 >
21 > Reason: it was a nice idea, but never truely used
22 >
23 > - have project lead (or delegated person) "decide" on the recruitment
24 > process / progress
25 >
26 > Reason: we already dropped the time frame windows in the past, but wasn't
27 > really clear who then decides that a phase can go through or not. So make
28 > it explicit that it is the lead (or a delegated person)
29 >
30 > - drop mandatory gdp quiz, make it recommended
31 >
32 > Reason: we already have a contribution period where the recruit sends in
33 > contributions or patches; the knowledge on the GuideXML, as far as needed
34 > for the tasks the recruit wants to do, should be apparent from the
35 > contributions.
36 >
37 > The quiz requires more knowledge than we might expect from most
38 > documentation developers (not in the past, but given the resources at hand
39 > right now, it makes sense to remove the mandatory requirement).
40 >
41 > Below is the suggested change on the policy.
42 >
43 > Comments are of course welcome (otherwise I wouldn't mail to the mailinglist
44 > :-P)
45 >
46 > Wkr,
47 > Sven Vermeulen
50 > Index: doc-policy.xml
51 > ===================================================================
52 > RCS file: /var/cvsroot/gentoo/xml/htdocs/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-policy.xml,v
53 > retrieving revision 1.27
54 > diff -u -B -r1.27 doc-policy.xml
55 > --- doc-policy.xml 29 Nov 2011 19:01:23 -0000 1.27
56 > +++ doc-policy.xml 20 Mar 2013 17:04:40 -0000
57 > @@ -186,7 +186,7 @@
58 >
59 > <p>
60 > If the 2.5 version is used, the tag can be either <c>&lt;license /&gt;</c> or
61 > -<c>&lt;license version="2.5" /&gt;</c>. In either case should the comment be
62 > +<c>&lt;license version="2.5" /&gt;</c>. In either case must the comment be
63 > updated to refer to the correct version URL.
64 > </p>
65 >
66 > @@ -200,9 +200,7 @@
67 > Every bug reported on <uri link="http://bugs.gentoo.org">bugs.gentoo.org</uri>
68 > should be handled as fast as possible. If a bug cannot be handled
69 > in a timely fashion, the reporter of that bug should be informed about
70 > -this using a comment on the bug, and the bug should be registered in the
71 > -<uri link="/proj/en/gdp/doc/metadoc-guide.xml">metadoc.xml</uri> file, if
72 > -applicable.
73 > +this using a comment on the bug.
74 > </p>
75 >
76 > <p>
77 > @@ -377,9 +375,10 @@
78 >
79 > <p>
80 > If you feel that you have shown sufficient amount of contributions, contact
81 > -the project lead of the Gentoo Documentation Project. He will ask you for your
82 > -coordinates and other information, and then arrange for the next phase to be
83 > -started.
84 > +the project lead of the Gentoo Documentation Project who will review the
85 > +contributions and the timeframe (or delegate this towards another GDP member).
86 > +He will ask you for your coordinates and other information, and
87 > +then arrange for the next phase to be started.
88 > </p>
89 >
90 > </body>
91 > @@ -403,22 +402,20 @@
92 > </p>
93 >
94 > <p>
95 > -During this period, the recruit:
96 > +During this period, the recruit: is advised to learn about Gentoo's inner workings.
97 > +This is required as he or she will be asked later on to answer Gentoo's <uri
98 > +link="/proj/en/devrel/quiz/staff-quiz.txt">Staffing Quiz</uri>.
99 > </p>
100 >
101 > -<ul>
102 > - <li>
103 > - is advised to learn about Gentoo's inner workings.
104 > - This is required as he or she will be asked later on to answer Gentoo's <uri
105 > - link="/proj/en/devrel/quiz/staff-quiz.txt">Staffing Quiz</uri>.
106 > - </li>
107 > - <li>
108 > - will be asked to fill in the <uri
109 > - link="/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-quiz.xml">Gentoo Documentation Project
110 > - Quiz</uri>. He or she needs to successfully pass this entire quiz
111 > - (all questions) before we can continue with the next Phase.
112 > - </li>
113 > -</ul>
114 > +<p>
115 > +It is also recommended, but not automatically required, to fill in the <uri
116 > +link="/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-quiz.xml">Gentoo Documentation Project Quiz</uri>.
117 > +This will assist the recruit in learning more about how the Gentoo Documentation
118 > +Project documentation works. If at a later time the Gentoo Documentation Project
119 > +lead feels that the recruit (or by then editor or author) shows insufficient
120 > +knowledge on this, he might ask the recruit (or by then editor or author) to
121 > +work on the quiz after all.
122 > +</p>
123 >
124 > </body>
125 > </section>
126 > @@ -441,9 +438,9 @@
127 >
128 > <p>
129 > If the recruit is already a Gentoo Developer, the same recruitment process is
130 > -followed, but the staffing quiz is not necessary anymore. However, the <uri
131 > +followed, but of course the staffing quiz is not necessary anymore. The <uri
132 > link="/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-quiz.xml">Gentoo Documentation Project Quiz</uri> is
133 > -still mandatory.
134 > +still recommended.
135 > </p>
136 >