From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o, gentoo-doc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Review of Documentation Policy
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:46:48
1 On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > Sorry to barge in like this here, but why not start a nice discussion on
5 > things... Keeps the minds fresh and the activity high (heh, almost sounds
6 > like a bad exercise DVD).
7 >
8 > The GDP currently uses the Documentation Policy [1] as its main policy on
9 > documentation development, recruitment, team organization and what not. It
10 > was written a few years ago and has seen some small changes since. However,
11 > like any policy, it should best be reviewed from time to time.
12 >
13 > So, what is your take on the policy? Which things need to be changed? What
14 > would you like to see added?
15 >
16 > Wkr,
17 >        Sven Vermeulen
18 >
19 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-policy.xml
20
21 The recruiting information seems strange and unnecessarily structured.
22 It all seems to be written for people who are not developers.
23
24 The Contributions phase mentions a lot of undefined titles,
25 "Operational Manager", "Full-time Developer", "Part-time Developer".
26 There's a table that shows the number of contributions/time for a
27 developer, but what do these roles actually mean? Who/what is an
28 "Operational Manager"?
29
30 > ... to inform the contributor about the time-consuming position and pressure the application involves.
31
32 Come on. What is this? I don't think I remember getting paid as a
33 Gentoo developer. This nonsense about time commitments and pressure is
34 pretentious.
35
36 It seems to me that the steps for joining the Docs team for a current
37 developer should be much more clearly stated.
38
39 Thanks,
40 Matt