From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 19:58:36
On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 20:26 +0100, Jan Kundrát wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 of November 2005 20:20 Arun Raghavan wrote: > > Call me an idealist, but this sounds too much like a "guilty until > > proven innocent" thing. I'm a "normal" Gentoo user, and had absolutely > > no trouble following the stage1 instructions. Let's leave the "the > > user is dumb" assumptions to Microsoft. > > Problem is not about our users, problem is that the newbies shouldn't be > forced to solve Portage tree issues during installation.
Correct. Look at bug #88777 as an example. Look at bug #39318 of another. These are fundamental issues with portage that are very slow to resolve. Why should our users be forced to duplicate the work of a dedicated team, whose purpose is to give good, working release materials that already resolve or work around these bugs?
> > Instead, a prominent explamnation and warning about what doing > > so-and-so would entail would be good. > > Please re-read the entire thread and swift's blog for reasons we're going to > deprecate stage1/2 installation.
-- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook Arun Raghavan <arunisgod@×××××.com>