From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] rsync timeout and installation instructions
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:43:00
Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> I have a user requesting me to update the installation instructions with a > paragraph or two about increasing the RSYNC_TIMEOUT variable if the user > receives a time-out even if he uses broadband access (due to too little > system resources).
Please define "too little system resources". I've never touched that RSYNC_TIMEOUT and my P100 has never had any trouble sync'ing. Is he using a slow mirror, has he tried another mirror?
> I'm personally not in favor of this (too little users will really need this > information) and it's in the handbook already (when RSYNC_TIMEOUT is > discussed) although not that visible to the users.
Agreed. Definitely not in the handbook.
> As a compromise I can always put this in a FAQ but honestly, I don't think > this is a FAQ (it's the first time I hear about increasing RSYNC_TIMEOUT for > broadband Internet access).
Define the problem first. Slow/far mirror? User's own line or machine under heavy load when sync'ing? As you said, it's the first time we hear about that and given the high number of slow broadband (128 to 256 Kb/s) connections, I think we'd have heard about that sooner. Cheers, -- / Xavier Neys \_ Gentoo Documentation Project / French & Internationalisation Lead \ /\