From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] GuideXML: define values & use conditional tags
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:09:04
1 Flammie Pirinen wrote:
2 > 2006-06-22, Xavier Neys sanoi, jotta:
3 >
4 >> With a new release coming out soon(-ish), we're going to have to hunt
5 >> and update quite a few variable data such as snapshot
6 >> names/locations, CD sizes, kernel versions in all our handbooks.
7 >> Some time ago, we discussed the possibility of defining values at the
8 >> beginning of the handbooks so that we need only update each value
9 >> once, always at the same place.
10 >
11 >> If you guys like it, it goes in, but if you think is too complex or
12 >> too much work to maintain, I shall not push it down your throat :)
15 >> Feedback welcome,
16 >
17 > The change towards variables for version information and such is good
18 > per se, but as translator I should probably remind, that using
19 > variables does make creating good translations a bit harder. As an
20 > example, translation of
21 > "[...] <keyval id="arch"/> systems and <keyval id="arch"/>
22 > clones [...]"
23 > will be "<keyval id="arch"/>-järjestelmät ja <keyval
24 > id="arch"/>-kloonit" if and only if <keyval/> doesn't contain spaces,
25 > otherwise hyphens must be preceded by spaces. Variables also
26 > practically prevent use of any affixes, which will reduce the quality of
27 > translations in languages with rich morphology, such as Finnish.
28 >
29 > So, what I'm basically suggesting is only to avoid overusing these
30 > variables. While they are mostly fine in version numbers,
31 > file system paths and such codes, they may cause problems in names,
32 > phrases and such.
33
34 I expect no less than translators being able to just cut'n'paste the values.
35 If it causes trouble to translators, something must be fixed asap and I trust
36 you'll report any issues :)
39 Cheers,
40 --
41 / Xavier Neys