From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Wiki for official docs only
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:03:26
1 Hi all,
2
3 I know an official Gentoo Wiki has been discussed fairly recently, but
4 I'd like to throw a different spin out: A wiki for official
5 documentation (handbooks, other guides) only.
6
7 The wiki would only be editable by Gentoo Devs. For authentication, I'd
8 be surprised if there's not an extension that can hook into the existing
9 LDAP or whatever databases.
10
11 The basic idea is to replace the current documentation with something
12 that's much easier to edit.
13
14 I recently looked at editing the handbooks to provide patches to update
15 them for autobuilds, death of GRP, using "eselect profile" for profile
16 management, etc. My problem is I have limited time, and while I have
17 tackled GuideXML in the past, it's not something I enjoy doing at all -
18 I have to lookup the syntax every time and double check everything. On
19 top of that the Handbooks in particular are (at a glance) a maze of
20 multiple files pieced together into the finished product (I haven't got
21 round to checking whether this maze is mapped out anywhere yet - I had
22 multiple things on my todo list at the time and decided to just move on
23 to the next item).
24
25 On the other hand, I (and I suspect a large number of other people in
26 general) use wiki's quite a lot, am familiar with the syntax and find
27 them a breeze to edit. In my opinion, it is likely the the official
28 documentation would receive more, faster contributions if they were on a
29 wiki instead of built using GuideXML.
30
31 Providing static copies shouldn't be an issue. There are various
32 extensions to provide wiki documents in various formats and I believe
33 that, if a system doesn't already exist, one could be built relatively
34 easily, to allow automatic generation of static versions.
35
36 I think that even if some documentation ends up having to be duplicated
37 (eg. between the x86 and amd64 handbooks), the losses through such
38 duplication would be outweighed by improved contributions.
39
40 I haven't mentioned an engine at all, but I'd suggest mediawiki because
41 it's popular, has a lot of extensions already available and the syntax
42 is familiar to many.
43
44 Thoughts? Concerns?
45