From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] DRobbins 2007.0 review
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 06:58:17
1 This is a followup from
2 http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=236711&cid=19324981
3 and (beware the wrap)
4 http://www.funtoo.org/drobbins/blog/2007/05/gentoo-linux-20070-review-
5 first.html
6
7 Nightmorph mentioned posting comments in regard to the documentation
8 angle here, so here I am. I've been lurking and don't /think/ I'm
9 rehashing old discussions, but if so, just tell me. Anyway, repeating
10 the comment I made in the link, so folks don't have to go read it of they
11 don't want to...
12
13 In trying to reply to the issues as I did, well, let's just say I'd have
14 been confused trying to read the present install documentation as a
15 Gentoo newbie (it was confusing enough as it was, knowing what was in the
16 old handbook and trying to see if it was in the current one, then finding
17 there was a 2007.0 one as well). It can be sorted out, but it's not
18 easy, and whats worse, with both a 2007.0 handbook, and a general Gentoo
19 Linux handbook, if someone goes for help and refers or is referred to the
20 handbook, it's quite possible the person wanting help and the person
21 trying to help will each be reading different "handbooks", and not even
22 realize it until much confusion has ensued.
23
24 - For 2007.1, full integration of the old Gentoo Handbook into the new
25 Gentoo 2007.x handbook should be complete, so there's only one "handbook"
26 and people won't get confused. It looks like it was already headed that
27 way, but unfortunately hadn't been completed. Probably trim the parts
28 other than installation from the old one as they appear to be in the new
29 one already, and retitle the remaining installation "Manual
30 Installation", or "Installation without the installer" or something
31 similar.
32
33 - Modify the existing Installation Documentation listing
34 ( http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=install ) or create a new
35 one suitable to be the primary installation documentation landing point.
36 Off the top of my head, that means moving the Installation Related
37 Resources up, eliminating or condensing and possibly moving to the bottom
38 the intro and doc repository paragraphs.
39
40 - Further modifying the Installation Docs listing, reorder the list so
41 commonly needed resources are at the top. Leave the handbook first (but
42 as I said, make sure there's only one "handbook", or at least deprecate
43 and move a second one down under "Other", if it continues to exist),
44 followed by the quick-install guide, tips and tricks, and alternate
45 install methods. Only those four under the first/main header.
46 Everything else under "Other Related".
47
48 - Consider making all four entries in the main install section language/
49 arch-landers of their own, much as the two handbooks are already
50 handled. Thus, the quick install guide link on the main lander will link
51 a (generic) quick install guide lander, which would in turn have the
52 existing x86, sparc, and gfbsd guides, among others. The G/amd64 FAQ and
53 chroot howtos, currently linked from the amd64 project, may be possible
54 candidates for linking on the tips and tricks lander. The LVM2, GRUB
55 error collection, USB, and Bluetooth guides may fit here as well, as may
56 the MIPS guide. Of course, if this is done, the descriptions for quick
57 install and tips on the main installation lander page would need expanded
58 to mention them, as appropriate.
59
60 - Gentoo 1.4 upgrade could probably by now be removed or moved to a
61 "deprecated" lander. The 2.6 kernel upgrading guide may need to hang
62 around for awhile, but could be moved to either the deprecated lander
63 with G/1.4 or an upgrade lander, with the Gentoo upgrading guide.
64
65 - Other possible landers if an alternate organization is chosen might
66 include hardware (bluetooth, USB, MIPS, etc) and system software landers
67 (GRUB, kernel 2.6 upgrading and genkernel guides, etc).
68
69 - Given the studies demonstrating a dramatic drop in usability and
70 simplicity when the number of choices exceeds 4-7, (coincidentally or
71 not, seven is said to be the number of "memory elements" an average
72 person seems to be able to hold in active instant memory at once, before
73 things start dropping out), if we could reduce the number of immediate
74 choices on the main Installation Documentation lander page to seven or
75 less, using secondary landers as suggested above, I believe it would
76 dramatically increase the usability of such a lander page. Thus, that'd
77 be a worthwhile goal, IMO.
78
79 After fixing up the main installation docs lander page:
80
81 - In all installation documentation other than the single Installation
82 Docs lander, replace the possibly many references to related install
83 documents with a single (or single per chapter anyway, in the case of the
84 old/manual method handbook, given the length) but likely higher
85 prominence reference to the Install Docs main lander. This will simplify
86 wording in multiple resources, while pointing all readers at the single
87 common installation docs landing point, with the benefits that brings in
88 terms of consistent and maintainable documentation.
91 If this is done, I believe it will make finding the proper documentation
92 easier and less confusing, and therefore, with luck, will increase the
93 number of folks reading it. With the installer getting better, it's not
94 like newbies necessarily /have/ to read it any more, to get a working
95 install, but I believe we'll all be happier if people continue to read
96 the docs anyway, and it follows that making that easier to do is a goal
97 worth pursuing. Hopefully, this proposal, or anyway the discussion that
98 might follow telling me why it's not as great as I think it is (;.;)
99 before getting any feedback, will advance that goal.
100
101 Either way, if I may be of help... =8^)
106 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
109 gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list