From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Helping Out
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 03:49:37
1 Brett Meadors wrote:
2 > I have been reading up and begun helping out with the portage project
3 > with their documentation, and I would really like to get involved with
4 > the Documentation team as both a active contributor and editor. Please
5 > let me know what I can do to help, what projects need some attention,
6 > and how I can be of help.
7
8 Speaking of Portage . . . one of the things with Portage 2.2, which is
9 now in ~arch, is that our Portage Handbook and related documentation in
10 gentoo.org/doc/en/ will need to be updated. 2.2, once stable, will give
11 everyone capabilities like user-defined sets, new behavior of the world
12 and system sets, FEATURES like preserve-rebuild (or whatever they ended
13 up calling it), and more.
14
15 Though I've heard via third parties that some of the Portage developers
16 plan to help out with updating this documentation, we haven't heard from
17 them yet. So, if you want to, head on over to the GDP page, at
18 http://gdp.gentoo.org. We have resources there on how to write GuideXML.
19 Armed with this knowledge, you'd be ready to tackle the updates needed
20 for the Portage handbook, which starts here:
21
22 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=2
23
24 Lots and lots of stuff to jump into. Or, if you'd rather take a break
25 from Portage docs, just jump into bugzilla (http://bugs.gentoo.org) and
26 search for open Documentation and Docs-user bugs that are assigned
27 to/CCed to docs-team@g.o. Just poke at whatever you want to do;
28 any and all help is welcome. Happy hunting.