From: "Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)" <klondike@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: [gentoo-dev] Build dependencies and upgrades.
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 20:09:02
1 El 11/10/11 21:36, Alec Warner escribió:
2 > On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
3 > (klondike) <klondike@g.o> wrote:
4 >> El 11/10/11 20:55, Markos Chandras escribió:
5 >>> On 10/11/11 19:50, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike) wrote:
6 >>>> Hi,
7 >>>> Today I have found that build dependencies are left in the system
8 >>>> but won't be upgraded when running emerge -vauD1 world. This can be
9 >>>> inconvenient since security issues fixed in those left over
10 >>>> packages won't be applied properly. So, is there any reason for
11 >>>> this behaviour? Shouldn't build dependencies either be cleaned with
12 >>>> --depclean after building or be upgraded to avoid possible issues?
13 >>>> Sorry if this gets in here twice, I used an incorrect account.
14 >>>
15 >>> Maybe you want the --with-bdeps parameter along with the -D one?. man
16 >>> emerge -> section Options -> parameter -D
17 >> That makes sense but then the problem is on the poor documentation we
18 >> have in the Internet.
19 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
20 >> Here no mention to that option is made
21 >> Nor is in:
22 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
23 >>
24 >> And in fact no mention to the option is made in the doc space at all. I
25 >> may also be wrong here but I don't recall finding it when I started with
26 >> portage and no notice was issued since then so either I misunderstood
27 >> it, kinda likely by then, or it was added later. And the fact it wasn't
28 >> commented at all in the documentation didn't help.
29 >>
30 >> The question now is anybody thinks this shouldn't appear in the
31 >> handbook? If nobody has a problem I'll prepare a patch.
32 >>
33 >> PS: howarang thanks for the point I found it really odd this was missing.
36 > FYI: there are a truckload of options that are available in portage
37 > but are not documented in the handbook. I'm not really sure
38 > replicating the portage manpages in the handbook is necessarily a good
39 > way to move forward. Ideally we would direct users to just read the
40 > manpages.
41 Antarus, an user who has read the whole installation handbook and is new
42 to the distro should by then have a lot of new ideas in mind to direct
43 them to man pages written in a more technical way creating even more
44 confusion. Add to to that any search on how to update / upgrade Gentoo
45 and you will find the same set of commands almost always:
46 $ emerge -u world
47 $ emerge -uD world
48 With no references to other parameters at all. Which can make users
49 assume that it is a safe default. If you look in the docs I provided
50 you'll see it is the case.