From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Cc: devrel@g.o, hardened@g.o, amd64@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] New date format and dates in handbooks
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:38:46
Hi all,

Our docs now support <date> elements formatted as 'YYYY-MM-DD'.
The reasons for implementing that are:
. consistency
. usable in scripts
. easier on translators

Dates that are not formatted as YYYY-MM-DD (or invalid ones) will be copied
verbatim for backwards compatibility.
Dates will be formatted in the language specified in the lang attribute of the
root element. English is the default.
You can experiment with the date formatting at

In *handbooks*, we recently introduced <date> elements in all included files.
The displayed date will now be the alphabetical max of the dates in the master
file, i.e. handbook-x86.xml, and in all included files.
If you only have a date element in the master file, no change for you.
If you include some of the /doc/en/handbook/ files, please convert your
date(s) to the new format so that your handbooks can display the latest date.
FYI, if you use a date like 'MonthName day, year' in your master file, it will
  be displayed because (letters > digits).

Dates in regular guides can be progressively converted whenever a doc is
upgraded, no need to rush.
If you already have dates in your hb-*xml, they should be converted. Feel free
to ask for help if you want to script it with sed or whatever.

Feedback and complaints can be addressed to our gentoo-doc@g.o ML.

With kind regards,
/  Xavier Neys
\_ Gentoo Documentation Project