From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] How are the docs written?
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 09:16:58
1 Gunnar wrote:
2 > Hello.
3 > I'm new on this list and I have a simple question, how is the docs written?
4 > Do you use any tools for generating the html or do you write it directly in
5 > plain emacs/vi?
6 >
7 > Regards
8 > Gunnar.
9 >
10 Gentoo documentation is ultimately stored in a custom xml-based format
11 called GuideXML. You can find out more by checking out the
12 "Documentation Project Documentation" section of
13 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml
14
15 This does not mean that you can't submit documentation in other formats.
16 I'm fairly sure the project will accept documentation in HTML or plain
17 text and then have knowledgeable people convert it for you - however
18 this will obviously take more time.
19
20 On the above mentioned articles you'll also find instructions on pulling
21 down existing documentation from the source repo so that you can easily
22 edit existing documentation.
23
24 GuideXML isn't overly difficult to learn if you already know HTML. You
25 can get help on the #gentoo-doc IRC channel on Freenode (
26 irc://irc.freenode.net/gentoo-doc )
27
28 It's probably in the above mentioned documentation already, but as a
29 quick tip: on almost any page on www.gentoo.org you can add ?passthru=1
30 to the end of the URL and view GuideXML source for that page.
31
32 Hope that helps
33
34 AllenJB